AMENDED: NOV 2022; JAN 2021; MAY 2018
ORIGINAL: MAY 2008
We regularly amend this Policy to reflect current laws. In July 2017 the policy was updated and finalised in May 2018. This was prior to the EU General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) that went into effect on 25th May 2018. Periodic amendments will be furnished.
We have re-launched the Terms and simplified the language. GBM Group owns the ideas, opinions, conjecture, information and copyrighted images contained within this website. Our collective partners are known as the T.E.A.M. They provide resources in the areas of legal, investigative, research, cultural and social sciences and other relevant expertise. We also retain military and personal security detail (PSD).
1. Use of this Site. This Policy is supplemented by additional policies relevant to particular activities. Each of the supplemental policies is incorporated into this Policy. Here are examples of areas in which you will encounter supplemental privacy policies, but this list is not complete. (1) A supplemental policy is included on the Site with respect to a particular activity. (2) Or if one is included on a Third Party site relating to the mission of GBM Group. (3) Those supplemental policies will also apply and are also incorporated.
2. Information We Collect That You Do Not Provide (System related). Sometimes we collect personal information without you having to enter any information on the Site. For example, (1) we may receive personal information from public sources. (2) Or from third parties (which we may combine with other information from other sources). In addition, we collect some information automatically from visitors to the Site. We collect at least the following. (1) Your domain name and host for Internet access. (2) The Internet address of the site from which you came. (3) The date and time of your access. (4) Your computer’s IP address and information about its operating system, browser and host. (5) The date and time you access the Site. (6) The pages you visit.
Recommendations: Since trackers are part of internet community, we advise you use a “masking” software.
3. Information We Collect That You Do Provide (User related). It is always your choice, or the choice of anyone acting for you, whether to provide personal information. However, some must be provided to participate in certain programmes or activities. This may include applying for a job or a contract. The decision not to provide information might limit or eliminate certain functions on the Site or the ability to participate. Other information is up to your good judgment. For instance, do not provide personal information about yourself. Protect your identity from being misused by others in a chat room, bulletin board, blog or similar forum. Do not provide personal information about others without their permission.
Personal information we tend to request about you or others. They may include your name, email address, native language. They can extend to organisation name, job title, city, state / province, region, age, locations for internet access and devices used. Additional information about what we collect is available in any supplemental privacy policies for particular activities.
4. Information You Provide About Others – Do not supply personal information about others unless you are authorised. You may be required to do so by applicable law or contract.
By submitting any personal information about others, (1) you represent and warrant the following. That you are authorised to do so. And (2) that you did all of the foregoing before submitting the information. If applicable law allows you to supply the information without doing the foregoing. You represent and warrant that you have abided by that law. And that it allows us to receive and disclose the information under this Policy without any further action on our part. You agree to indemnify, defend and hold us harmless against any failure by you to comply with this paragraph.
5. What We Generally Do with Personal Information Collected. In general, we use personal information we collect to pursue our mission and operations. And to engage in the activity (and related activities) for which we collect it. Specifically, we may use your personal information:
- to fulfill our obligations to you and to respond to any questions or requests;
- to contact you about material changes in our site terms or policies;
- to comply with the law or in good faith belief that such action is necessary to conform with the requirements of law or to comply with legal process served on us;
- if you sign up for a blog, feed or newsletter, your information will be stored, but not used to spam you.
- if you apply for a job or contract, we’ll use the information to find out about you and share only with relevant third parties to the position.
Further information is available in the supplemental policies for some activities. You should assume that we will use all information for all lawful purposes. Subject to applicable law, we reserve the right to make all lawful, worldwide uses of personal information. This includes without limitation, to: collect, use, access (or bar access), process, fulfill, disclose, display, share, respond to legal process. We can otherwise exercise our rights under applicable law, transfer, store, verify, enforce, delete, and otherwise deal with personal information, and information other than personal information (collectively “Disclose”).
6. Your Ability to Update Personal Information – To the extent our systems require your personal information, in general, they provide the ability for you to update your information. If you have any questions about what personal information about you that GBM Group and the T.E.A.M. retains, please use the contact form below. GBM Group endeavors to keep your personal information accurate and up to date. If your personal information has changed, you may submit your new information there as well. Some activities allow some updating, e.g., you may update your job, contract and/or funding profile by using the functionality in that section of the Site, whenever available.
GBM Group keep contractual personal information for as long as we think is necessary or advisable. We reserve the right to retain it to the full extent not prohibited by law. We may discard personal information at our discretion, so you should retain your own records, and not rely upon our storage of any personal information or other data.
7. Information Security – We use reasonable technical and organisational measures to protect the personal information received from our users from unauthorised use or disclosure.
- Consent to International Transfer and Disclosure of Personal Information. We are involved in programmes and activities in a variety of countries. You agree that the GB Media Group and those with whom we share personal information (“Recipients”) may Disclose and transfer your personal information worldwide (including outside the European Economic Area, if you are based in the European Economic Area) for any purpose relating to our or their mission, operations, programs, or otherwise that is not allowed or prohibited by this Policy.
- Consent to Electronic Notice If There is a Security Breach: If we or a Recipient is required to provide notice of unauthorised access or other invasion of certain security systems, you agree that we (or they) may do so when required (or voluntarily) by posting notice on our Site or sending notice to any email address we have for you, in our (or their) good faith discretion. You agree that notice to you will count as notice to others for whom you are acting, and agree to pass the notice on to them.
9. Children – We do not want to collect information from children. Do not provide any personal information unless you are at least 13 years of age in the USA or at least 16 years if you live in the EEA, and please caution your children not to provide any. If a child under 13 in the USA or under 16 in the EEA has provided personal information, a parent or guardian may so inform us by writing us at Our Address for Legal Notices (see below) and we will use commercially reasonable efforts to delete it from our database, subject to applicable law and this Policy.
10. Identity Theft – If anyone believes they’re a victim of identity theft entitled by law to request information from us. Please use the contact us form below. For Legal Notices, we’ll explain what information we require in order to respond. After receiving that information, we’ll supply (without charge) information we are legally required to provide (subject to applicable law and reserving all rights and defenses).
Private Policy GBM Group: Jobs and Contracts
Private Policy GBM Group: Information Collected
Information That We Collect in Contracts. In the Jobs and Contracts section you may set up a “profile” which will require you to supply your email address. You will create a password and secret question to allow you to access your profile later. When you create a profile, submit an application, or authorise us to obtain a “consumer report” (such as a background check). We tend to collect this kind of information: name, address, telephone number, CV, employment, compensation and educational history. Additionally, previous grants from us, social security number (or national insurance number for an Applicant based in the UK or other local equivalent) and so on. We keep track of when applications are submitted and persons using your password can see several months of that history by clicking on “MyLink” if you have a profile.
The information submitted about an Applicant online tends to be preliminary information. If we think there is suitable fit for the job or contract, we often will ask the Applicant to complete a more formal application and also to authorise us to obtain a “consumer report” or “consumer investigative report.” Under U.S. law, a “consumer report” is a report bearing on credit worthiness, credit standing, credit capacity, character, general reputation, personal characteristics, or mode of living which is expected to be used or collected to serve as a factor in establishing Applicant’s eligibility for the Job or Contract. An “investigative consumer report” tends to be the same thing. The information is obtained through personal interviews with neighbours, friends, associates or acquaintances etc. who knows the Applicant. Both kinds of reports (or other information we collect) can include information from court, administrative and criminal records.
How Collected Information is used
Access to Information. You may update your personal profile information by using that Site functionality in the Jobs and Contracts section. GBM Group retains profiles in accordance with our records retention policy. We reserve the right to delete them and other information stored by or for you, so don’t store, for example, the only copy of a CV with us (and sometimes information will need to be re-entered). Profiles may be deleted at any time upon request by contacting us by using the form below. Neither changes or deletion of a profile will alter information already submitted or relied upon.
- to recruiters and other third parties who help us authenticate Applicants or review qualifications and credentials or to contact references;
- to our affiliates and other Third Parties or persons with whom Applicant might work if Applicant gets the contract;
- to communicate about receiving the application or about the contract for which application was made, or to deliver legal or other notices; and
- to comply with applicable laws such as checking names against anti-terrorism lists or complying with immigration restrictions.
If Applicant gets a job or contract with us, we store the application and other information upon which we relied in Applicant’s personnel file and we may base post-recommendation requests on it (including disciplinary actions).
Private Policy GBM Group: Security
- You should assume the Site, storage and use generally is not encrypted and you should take steps to promote security (e.g., see the “Passwords; Redact Your CV” section above).
- Please be wary of email “phishing” or other scams by persons pretending to be us or a Third Party working with us – if you are contacted and asked for sensitive personal information such as financial information or your social security number etc., you should assume that someone is trying to defraud you. We will already have that information if you provided it to us on one of our documents and so will anyone with whom we share personal information: generally we don’t need to ask for it again.
- If you’d like to check with us to help determine if the person communicating with you is really us or someone we shared with, please DIRECT MESSAGE us on Twitter.
All marketing and spam submissions are deleted without being read. We maintain the contact information you provide for communication purposes only and not for advert or other selling points. All contact information you provide is strictly confidential.